Monday, January 10, 2011

If you've seen The Hurt Locker

then read on. If not, don't.


Didn't that look like an easily survivable explosion that killed Staff Sergeant Matt Thompson (Guy Pierce) early in the film? I imagine it wouldn't be easy to persuade a stunt man to stand near a non-survivable blast, but still...

For me, a great deal of the tension was drained away from SFC James' bomb-disarming scenes by my knowledge that Jeremy Renner was the star of the film, not just a member of the ensemble. I was reasonably sure that he wouldn't die or be disabled during the first reel. Were you similarly reassured?

2 comments:

  1. I know, riiiight? I also thought Guy Pierce would survive that one. I guess he took a blow to the head, cuz there was blood on his visor, but he had the helmet on, so that should have protected him enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of the concussive nature of an IED, it's no surprise to me that this killed him.
    The sounds waves alone probably caused a hemorrhage in his brain that caused immediate death.
    Definitely not pretty.

    ReplyDelete